Panagiotis Papassotiriou Ba(hons).Dip.Arch.ARB RIBA
Salford House for Life - Manchester, UK
This project was completed in collaboration with fellow architect Theo Gazotzis
This is our submission for a two-stage competition to design and build a new exemplar family housing scheme, on a 1.45ha brown-field site in the heart of the Greengate area of Salford across from Manchester city centre.
The ambition for the architecture was to create a new identity and enhance the link with the Irwell River through the use of the water element and the fluidity of spaces. The key points that informed our design are the following:
• Urban feel with appropriate green spaces
• To take advantage of the good views across the city and beyond the river
• Create a good relationship between the large blocks of flats and the open spaces with the neighbouring buildings
• Design that works with the flat nature of the site
• Create good architectural legibility and a distinctive design
• Provide a platform for achieving maximum energy efficiency and zero carbon status via sustainable design initiatives, construction techniques and integration of renewable energy technologies.